Message from the Trustee
As we approach the time of preparation of our 2018 budget, we look forward to increased partnership with our Community Service Providers, and new ventures with others.
We have already participated in the Haynes-Apperson Festival, and look forward to partnering with the Indiana Black Expo in a Back to School Rally on August 5.
We continue to stand ready to provide the basic necessities of life to our clients while assisting them with a hand up
to achieve self-sufficiency for themselves. We will continue to provide insight to the public about the functions of the office
as mandated by the laws of our State.
We also stand ready to come to your organization with presentations about our office and the services we provide, and you are encouraged to come visit us,
have a cup of java and a bit of conversation. Team Trustee wishes you a happy and prosperous Summer season.
Trustee Robert A Lee
How Budget Planning Takes Place
State law requires the township to prepare a budget beginning with the ending of the first half of the fiscal year. Through a series of meetings described below
the budget is prepared with the participation of state entities and the local township board. The process includes:
- Analyzing spending for the current fiscal year through six months. (July 1)
- Based on that analysis, the needs for 2018 are assessed. (July)
- In a meeting with the Department of Local Government Finance, the tax levy is estimated to meet the needs for the coming year, based on estimated funds available in either savings or unspent funds from current year. (July or August)
- The county auditor certifies the New Assessed Value Estimates. (August 1)
- The budget and proposed tax-levy is presented to the Township Board at a special meeting.(August)
- Upon apporval by the Board, the proposed budget is published and a public hearing is set.(September)
- At the public meeting the proposed budget will be finalized to be submitted to the County Council for Non-Binding Recommendations.(September)
- The Township Board adopts the Budget, Tax Rates, and Tax Levies. (October)
- The Budget is submitted to the Department of Local Government Finance. (November)
- The Budget is certified by the DLGF. (February)